Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

During the Assassinations

Today I direct you to Maxine Kumin's poem "During the Assassinations" at The Writer's Almanac. I was a child, not a "sixties soccer mom" during this terrible time, but I saw what my parents were going through and I had my own consciousness raised, as they say.

After yesterday's soapbox, it seems important to remind myself and my readers that people who speak out for change, social justice, and the right thing are all too often plucked from their lives for it, as people's fear of real change is so intense, and there is always someone crazy enough to assassinate or terrorize the great man or woman and/or always some powerful political or economic or terrorist organization eager to push the buttons.

The regular citizen has the same fear of being terrorized or ostracized by power or the power of conventionality, too, and can have his/her buttons pushed by the simple need to survive.

Thunder's rolling in. I'm off soon to help celebrate a civil union at church, a sign of the times changing for good. (Meanwhile, a few people are debating that very issue on my Facebook page...)

More on Maxine Kumin from The Rumpus.

More on Maxine Kumin at The Poetry Foundation.

Robert Kennedy and CORE, via Wikimedia Commons (public domain photo).  All about RFK at Wikipedia.

Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar